Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Day to Remember


A wedding is often one of the most memorable days of a person's life.  For some, decades of dreaming and planning culminate on that single day.  Hundreds of guests, often traveling hundreds of miles help celebrate this day of days.  And talk about memorable...Destination weddings are a wedding and honeymoon all in one.  Truly unforgettable.  

I'm going to remember Joanne and Bryan's wedding for a long time.  Not because of an exotic venue, or Hollywood guest list, but for one guest in particular.  Joanne's father has been battling an illness and no one was sure he'd still be able to walk her down the aisle come October, which is when the wedding was to take place.  Joanne and Bryan decided to move the wedding up to May.  They'd have to sacrifice some of the amenities that they would have saved for during the next five months, but it would be worth it.

When I spoke with Joanne a month ago to go over final details for the wedding, she had come to the devastating realization, one of the things she would have to do without was a photographer.  There just wasn't enough money in the budget.  She changed her wedding plans for her dad because it was that important to her.  There was no way I was going to allow this day to slip by without capturing it.  I'd decided to shoot the wedding anyway.  
When she arrived, she was surprised to see me there, and feared I was simply honoring our contract, and that I would be expecting payment.  I smiled and told her I was here because she was getting married today.  And her father was going to dance with her, the way she'd always dreamt.  And that I would take beautiful pictures.  She could relax.  
This I would do for free.












































No comments:

Post a Comment