Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mustang Rally


I was fortunate this summer to spend a little time at one of my favorite venues, Watkins Glen Raceway. Dan Bremer, who is the head of IronhorseAutoSport.com was kind enough to organize a Mustang Rally last month and invited me (and my Mustang) to join them. Over the course of two days we lapped the track at Watkins Glen and then participated in the Sauerkraut Festival in Phelps, NY., first with an autoshow featuring nearly a hundred Mustangs spanning the last 46 years, and then snarling up the parade route, leaving patches of rubber and scorched asphalt every few yards.

The high point for me was the hot laps at The Glen. I was in the middle of the pack of about 35 Mustangs entering the track along the middle of the 1/2 mile long front straight (pulling across into the pits or so I thought), when suddenly the whole field made a hard left turn and ripped down the front straight entering Turn One at nearly 100mph. I still had the top down and my camera gear across the back seats. I yelled to Kristen, hold everything down! We're going!! 

There we were, thirty-five Mustangs boasting between 300 and 550hp, flying around the track in a tight pack at (in some cases) up to 140mph. I was shocked! I figured we'd be allowed to lap a couple of cars at a time, nowhere near each other. This was fantastic. I had to bail into the pits after two laps, though, so I could actually photograph some of the other cars. What a blast!


Check out the whole event on our website, and please visit www.ironhorseautosport.com for more news, pics, and info.























No comments:

Post a Comment